Convotherm 4 – Recipe
In one of our recent Convotherm demonstrations at Moffat IQ Sydney, we had the pleasure of the crew from The Shed Café to come in and do some testing on our Convotherm 4 combi ovens. This dish was created to show how they could use overnight cooking, with basic preparation and then using the oven during a service period to complete the dish.
This is a perfect dish to form a part of any tapas menu and always is a good choice for functions, bulk cooking and a-la-carte items. So we’ve decided to share the recipe with all the fun lovers in the kitchen.
The whole dish is 100% created in the Convotherm C4 combi, using the steam / sous vide mode and then convection Crisp&Tasty function to finish.
Moffat IQ is a free service backed by the experience, reputation and resources at Moffat. Moffat are investing back into the restaurant, hospitality and catering industries that we’e supported for over 90 years. You can simply book a free demo online or alternatively speak with one of our Moffat IQ Pro’s (free call 1800 023 953) to test out the redefined Convotherm 4 combi steamers today.
1kg Pork Belly, Skin-on
1 tsp Chinese Five Spice
1 whole Star Anise
200ml Chicken Stock
2 Eggs, whisked
200g Plain Flour
450g Panko Breadcrumbs
100g Mixed Mushrooms, thinly sliced – (enoki, king brown, shimeji, shiitake)
1 tbls Sea Salt Flakes
1 tbls White Sugar
2 tbls Apple Cider Vinegar
150ml Whole Egg Mayonnaise
2 Chipotle in Adobo Sauce*
1 Lime, juiced
1 tsp Sesame Seeds, Toasted, to serve
Julienned Radish, to serve
Micro Herbs, to serve
Ground Black Pepper
- Pre-heat the Convotherm 4 to 74° on steam.
- Place pork belly in a vacuum bag with, Chinese five spice, star anise, and chicken stock, vacuum seal the bag and toss ingredients to coat the pork belly.
- Place pork belly bag on a steamer tray and place it the oven, sous vide at 74° for 12 hours.
- Once cooked, chill the pork belly in the bag until firm.
- For the mushrooms, place salt, sugar and vinegar in a bowl and mix to dissolve and then pour over mushrooms, mix gently to coat and set side to pickle.
- Remove pork belly from the bag, discard the cooking liquid, remove the skin from the pork belly and cut into 1.5 inch cubes.
- Dip the individual pieces of pork belly in the plain flour, shaking to remove the excess, then into the whisked egg shaking to remove the excess, and then into the panko breadcrumbs, press the crumbs firmly to ensure they stick. Chill until firm.
- For the chipotle mayo, place mayo in a jug add chipotle and blend until smooth, add salt, pepper and lime juice to taste, then set aside until ready to serve.
- Pre-heat the Convotherm 4 to 190° on convection with level 5 C&T.
- Place the pork belly into the air fry basket, and spray lightly with oil.
- Place pork belly into the oven and cook for 8 minutes, until browned and crisp.
- To serve, place chipotle mayo on the serving plate, top with pork belly, and mushrooms, sprinkle with sesame seeds, and a little sea salt and garnish with radish and micro herbs.
· Available from gourmet deli’s
Enjoy! If you have any interesting recipes to share which you think can be done in a combi steamer, we would love to hear from you on our facebook.